Sunday 2 June 2013

Out and about

This morning the Fairlawn Road verge produced my first ever Syritta pipiens hoverfly. I've probably overlooked them before as they are a common species but I'm still pleased I finally nailed one. Also along the verge was a Speckled Wood butterfly, a Dock Leaf Bug and a Tree Bee Bombus hypnorum. Wood Avens was in flower in several places and a Blackcap was singing.
Syritta pipiens
Tree Bee
Wood Avens
 At the station there was a Thick-thighed Flower Beetle Oedemera nobilis, a Small White and a few Large White butterflies. Ox-eye Daisies were just coming into flower. A few House Sparrows feeding in the allotment gardens nearby.
Ox-eye Daisies
Oedemera nobilis


House Sparrow
I was very pleased to see 3 juvenile Starlings in St Andrews Road, so there was at least some breeding success. My Blue Tit family are still doing well with parents still visiting the nest and the young calling from inside. Regular visits from a pair of Blackbirds in the garden in the last few days.
Blackbird


No comments:

Post a Comment